easiest butternut squash soup

Hello friends! Hope you all had a great weekend.  Mine went a little too quickly and wasn't all that productive, but I got some much needed downtime, which was nice. I mentioned in my last post that I would share a recipe for the soup that I made to go with my bread, so here it is!  I think that squash is quickly becoming one of my go-to foods.  It's so yummy and super easy to incorporate into meals. When I made this soup it was already 9:30pm (woops) and I was looking for something easy that I could make with what I had on hand.  I looked around at a few different recipes and then threw together my own simplified version...and amazingly it turned out great! Depending on how much you eat this recipe makes enough for 1-2 servings.

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon butter
Half an onion
1 clove of garlic
Half a butternut squash, cut into small cubes
3/4 cup stock (vegetable or chicken - whatever you prefer.  I used bouillon cubes to make mine)
1 cup milk or half and half (I used 2 percent milk)
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (less if you don't like it too spicy)
1/4 teaspoon dried sage
Salt and pepper to season

Heat the butter over medium heat in a saucepan.  Add the chopped onion and garlic.  Cook for around 5 minutes.  Add the spices and sage, stir for a minute or so.  Add the squash, stock, milk/half and half and a cup of water.  Let simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the squash is soft. Put in a blender and puree until smooth. I prefer a thick soup, but if it's too thick add a little more water as you blend.  Season with salt and pepper, and maybe a squirt of lemon juice.  Eat up!
One of my goals for this year was to start eating better and cooking real meals (rather than making pasta or heating up frozen food every night).  Problem is, it's a huge bummer trying to cook for one person and I really don't feel like I have that much more time to cook than I did before.  I'm trying to figure out meals that are healthy but still quick and easy to make in smaller portions...So hopefully I will be sharing more of these types of recipes on here!
Follow The World Through Kaleidoscope Eyes